Cape Verde Remote Working Program – All you need to know
What is the Cape Verde Remote Working Program and how can you apply? Let’s find out!
Taraffal beach Cape Verde
Cape Verde just rolled out a new visa program called the “Cape Verde Remote Working Program.” This program is meant to encourage digital nomads and other remote workers, to spend 6 months in Cape Verde, with the possibility of renewal for up to 12 months.
The Portuguese speaking country is hoping to attract more people to it’s archipelago of 9 inhabited islands, to enjoy the sandy beaches, perfect weather, warm hospitality and rich culture – sem estresse (meaning without stress in Cape Verdean kriolu).
So, if you’re a digital nomad or remote worker, looking to explore 9 islands and immerse yourself in a new culture. Let’s dive right into all you need to apply for the program.
[Thinking about relocating to Cape Verde? Get the ultimate Cape Verde Relocation Guide]
My siblings (residents of Cape Verde) at Fortaleza de Sāo Filipe
Who is eligible to apply?
The Cape Verde remote working program, is eligible to anyone who is from Europe, North America, the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP) and Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) citizens.
What are the requirements?
- International passport valid for 6 months
- Passport size photograph*
- Passport data page*
Proof of income in the form of bank statements for the last 6 months.*
- For Individuals: minimum average bank balance of 1.500€ (N685, 000) in the last 6 months;
- For a Family: minimum average bank balance of EUR 2.700€ (N1.25 million) in the last 6 months;
- Valid health insurance for the duration of your stay in Cape Verde, for each family member where applicable (should cover COVID-19 where possible)*
- Negative COVID-19 test result valid for 48 hours before you arrive in Cape Verde. (for each family member where applicable)
*documents that must be submitted electronically.
Live show with tourists at Quinta da Musica in Platô, Praia – Cape Verde
How to apply
Thankfully, the first phase of the application for the Remote Working Program is done online. All you need to do is fill out the form with all the requested information and submit it.
Upon submission of the form, you will be contacted via email about the status of your application. If your application is approved, you’ll receive your entry permit.
An approved application entitles you to 30 days initial visit to Cape Verde. Upon arrival, at the end of the 30days you must apply to extend your visa for the 6 months temporary stay.
Be aware that you’re not allowed to take up job in Cape Verde. You must work remotely and this means you don’t need to pay income tax or social contributions which is mandatory for workers in Cape Verde.
What is the application cost?
To apply for the program, the application fee is 20€. You also need to pay the mandatory Airport tax fee (TSA) which is 34€. Total of 54€.
What is the processing time?
The processing time for applications into the Cape Verde remote working program is at least 2 weeks. Applicants MUST receive their approval prior to traveling to Cape Verde54
Outside Praia airport on Santiago island
How to extend your stay upon arrival in Cape Verde
Upon arrival in Cape Verde, you have to submit in person, the following documents with the visa application form dully fulfilled, to the border authorities (Policia Fronteira)
- Passport photograph with white background (showing ears)
- Copy of passport bio page
- Copy of entry stamp passport page
- Proof of the principal applicant’s relationship with the family group members if applicable.
- Proof of income and means of subsistence (account statement of the last 6 months or copy of last 3 monthly salary receipts);
- Health certificate from Cabo Verde
- Police character certificate from your home country. Make sure to get one prior to your travel.
- Copy of booking accommodation. In case of local accommodation
renting, a site visit will be made and a fee of €15,00 is applicable;
- Copy of the application approval letter issued by Direcção Geral do Turismo e Transportes; (Director general of tourism and transportation)
- €20 visa extension fees per person.
Translation not required for documents as long as they’re in English.
Rainy season (July to October) on Santiago Island Cape Verde
As long as you have all the required documents, the process will be smooth without hiccups.
Upon approval of your 6 months temporary visa, you can stay in the country and you have the possibility to extend your stay for up to 12months or apply for temporary residency.
[Want to relocate to Cape Verde? Find out all you need to relocate successfully in the Cape Verde Relocation Guide]
- To learn more about life in Cape Verde, checkout my website’s Cape Verde Category.
- Check out videos showing life in Cape Verde, checkout my Cape Verde Instagram Highlight.
- To relocate to Cape Verde and become a temporary/permanent resident, get the ultimate Cape Verde Relocation Guide for in-depth information on all you need to relocate successfully.
- If you want to relocate, but you’re not sure which country is right for you. Take a Relocation Assessment to find out the countries that are realistic for you based on your budget, job preference, lifestyle and your current situation.